The following is a brief account of the War Memorial to a soldier of the First World War, situated in the parish church of St Martin, Kirmond le Mire.
Additional personal data is drawn from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) and from ‘ Soldiers Died in The Great War 1914 – 1919 ‘,Vol 15.
THE CHURCH OF St. MARTIN – KIRMOND -le -MIRE
On the northern wall is affixed a wooden board bearing a brass plaque some 20″ by 15″ on which is inscribed in black capitals
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND TO THE MEMORY OF
+ PTE JOHN CLARK +
OF THE 5th (T.F.) BATTALION LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT
WHO WAS KILLED IN ACTION NEAR YPRES
APRIL 26th 1915 AGE 20 YRS
+ Indicates the position of two brass emblems of the Lincolnshire Regiment, with the sphinxes facing outwards.
John CLARK is recorded as a native of Binbrook and the son of Walker and Sabrina Clark of East Ravendale, where he was resident at the time of his death on active service on the 26th April 1915 whilst serving as Private 2741 in the 1/5 Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. He is buried in the Packhorse Farm Shrine Cemetery in Belgium.