During the First World War, 144 Squadron come in to being on the 20th March 1918, as a reconnaissance unit. It was later disbanded on the 4th February 1919, only to be reformed again on the 11th January 1937, as a day bomber squadron. Early in February of that year, it moved to RAF Hemswell, Lincolnshire, a new bomber station, where it remained until July 1941. It then moved to RAF North Luffenham, just 6 miles west of Stamford, Lincolnshire.
During its time at Hemswell, it was equipped with Mark 1 Hampden Bombers. Part of 5 group, the squadron continued to operate out of North Luffenham until April 1942, when it’s rolled changed to torpedo bombing and it joined Coastal Command. The squadron motto is “Who shall stop Us”. Its badge is a raised boars head in front of a decrescent moon. In September 1941, the squadron was commanded by Wing Commander W.S. Gardner DFC. During the war the squadron earned 1 DSO; 21 DFC’s; 1 CMG; 1 DFM and 15 MID’s. The squadron was disbanded on the 25th May 1945