James Lickorish



Woodhall Spa                           




Kirkby on Bain






Miscellaneous Memorials


Number: 951                               Unit: 6th
                                         Lincolnshire Regiment

Rank: Sargent                   Commemorated:
                                       Loos Cemetery France



The son of Mr. W. and Mrs. S.J. Lickorish, James was just 21 years old when he died.  Formerly of Kirkleys Cottages Woodhall Spa, James was a pre-war member of the 4th battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment, a Territorial Battalion.  His parents were never officially informed their son was killed for some time.  Unofficially, they had received a letter from Pte. R.Belton stating James had been seen on the 13th October “close to the German trenches throwing bombs.  He was wounded then and no one saw him after”.  James’ parents therefore assumed the worst.


Under the Army reforms introduced by the Secretary of State for War, Richard Haldane, of 1907, the existing Yeomanry and Volunteer forces were to be combined into a new organisation to be known as the Territorial Force.  In 1908 the 3 existing volunteer battalions of the Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers, were re-organised to form the 4th and 5th Battalions of The Lincolnshire Regiment.  On the outbreak of war in August 1914, the territorial force was immediately mobilised and, as part of the 46th Division, the 4th battalion went overseas.  On the 1st March 1915, both the 4th and 5th Lincolns disembarked at Havre; thus the 46th Division gained the distinction of becoming the first territorial division to arrive in France.  Between the 9th and 26th March the 4th Lincolns proceeded by stages to the front line, arriving at Ploegstreert for instruction in trench duties.

The Regimental History for the Lincolns records the events of the period 13th - 19th October 1915.  By this time the 4th Lincolns had become accustomed to trench warfare.  By the 4th October it had become known that the 46th Division were to take part in the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt, and on the 6th both the 4th and 5th Lincolns marched to Hesidigneul, remaining here for 6 days.  On the afternoon of the 12th, the battalions marched to Sailly la Bourse and, after having their evening meal, collected rations and ammunition for the next day.  They then relieved the Guards Division in the line during the night of the 12th - 13th October.  Operation orders directed the 46th Division to capture the Hohenzollern Redoubt and Fosse 8, the division attacking on the right.  The 4th Lincolns were in support of the main attack.  They were to follow the assaulting battalions one hundred yards in the rear.  They were to clear, by bombing, all trenches passed over by the front line.  At 12 noon the British bombardment began and at 2.00pm the first, second, third and fourth lines of attacking infantry left the trenches.  The fighting continued for the remainder of the day and until the battalions were relieved on the 14th.  During this period the 4th Lincolns suffered casualties of 10 Officers and 385 other ranks killed wounded or missing, of which James was one.

[Home] [Kirkby-0n-Bain] [Kirkstead] [Woodhall Spa] [Tetford] [Links to other useful Great War Sites] [Miscellaneous  Memorials.] [Benington]